Space Center Houston Celebrates Star Wars™ Day
HOUSTON, April 27, 2015 – Wear your Luke Skywalker or Princess Leia costume, see a real hovercraft, build a lightsaber and celebrate the legendary adventures at Star Wars™ Day on May 3 at Space Center Houston.
The special day is devoted to celebrating the fans that have rallied around the film series. Visitors will have the opportunity to meet iconic characters from the film, participate in Jedi training, build hovercrafts and create their own lightsaber. The day will be full of fun for the whole family.
The event features a full day of Star Wars celebrations including:
- Meet your favorite Star Wars characters from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Have your photo taken with Obi Shawn and other Star Wars characters as well as with members of the local 501st Legion.
- Wear your favorite Star Wars costume for a chance to win prizes. Contestants will be judged on costume, make-up, resemblance to character, poise and confidence as well as audience reception. Contestants will be divided into categories by age.
- See if you can defeat the dark side at Padawan Boot Camp. Young Jedi-in-training will learn the ancient secrets of the Force as Obi Shawn and his assistants teach the ways of the Jedi.
- Learn about the properties of magnetism in the LEGO® levitation and maglev demonstrations. See how opposite poles attract and like poles repel, then apply the concepts to make mini-science fiction vehicles such as landspeeders and hovercrafts.
- Design and build a hovercraft. In this hands-on activity, visitors will learn about the laws of physics and see how hovercraft technology will influence future modes of transportation.
- Explore with robots. Visitors will learn principals of robotics and programming while performing specific tasks.
- Create your own lightsaber. Visitors can put their Jedi skills to the test and make their own Jedi lightsaber and take their creation home.
Star Wars Day is included with regular admission to Space Center Houston. Tickets at the door range from $18.95 for children to $23.95 for adults with discounts for seniors and active military. Save $3 and skip the ticket lines by buying online. Become a Space Center Houston Member for as little as $26.95 and return free as often as you like during the year with free parking, special events and much more. For tickets or more information about Space Center Houston, visit spacecenter.org or call (281) 244-2100.
# # #
The Manned Space Flight Education Foundation Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit space museum with an extensive science education program. The cornerstone of its science education mission is Space Center Houston, which USA Today called “The Big Draw” in the greater Houston area with more than 800,000 visitors annually and a $45 million economic impact on the greater Houston area. Space Center Houston is Houston’s first and only Smithsonian Affiliate and the official visitor center of NASA Johnson Space Center. The center draws more than 100,000 teachers and students annually from around the world. For more information, go to www.spacecenter.org.
SOURCE: Manned Space Flight Education Foundation Inc.
Download news release (pdf)