The Mars Habitat Design Challenge is for youth ages 10 and younger. With NASA’s plans for a human mission to Mars in the 2030s, will humans be multi-planet dwellers in the not-so-distant future? Mars’ extreme weather conditions, high radiation levels, lack of oxygen and frequent dust storms require special consideration when planning a sustainable community. With these factors in mind, participants will be asked to design a Mars base that can withstand the elements and be as comfortable as any home on Earth.
Challenge: Design a Mars base using craft materials.
- The goal of this contest is to inspire future space explorers and encourage the next generation of scientist to begin examining multi-planet dwelling by designing a habitat and/or Mars base.
- Include your full name, telephone number, email address and age with your entry.
- To enter, bring your design to Space Center Houston on Oct. 8. Your design should include areas for the astronauts to live, sleep, eat, care for themselves and work.
- Entries will be judged based on the creativity and feasibility of the design.
- Entries must be the original work of the contestant.
- Winners will be announced on Oct. 8.
- Winners will receive the following prizes:
- First place: Complimentary admission to a future Space Center Houston day camp.
- Second place: Space Center Houston T-shirt.
- Third place: Astronaut ice cream.
Deadline for entry: 12:30 p.m. CST Oct. 8
Judging: A panel of judges will determine the winner.
Times and locations of speakers, presentations, workshops, shows, activities and demonstrations subject to change without notice.