With NASA’s plans for a human mission to Mars in the 2030s, will humans be multi-planet dwellers in the not-so-distant future? Mars’ extreme weather conditions, high radiation levels, lack of oxygen and frequent dust storms require special consideration when planning a sustainable community. With these factors in mind, participants will be asked to design a Mars base that can withstand the elements and be as comfortable as any home on Earth.
Challenge: Design a Mars base using 3D software and upload it to our website.
- The goal of this contest is to inspire future space explorers and encourage the next generation of scientists to begin examining multi-planet dwelling by designing a habitat and/or Mars base.
- Include your full name, telephone number or email address and age with your entry.
- To ensure that your entry may be properly judged, we ask that all entries be created with either of the following free programs – Sketch Up or Tinkercad.
- To enter, upload your design using the form below before 11:59 p.m. CST Sept. 28. Your design should include the essentials for comfortable living and any amenities you feel will enhance your lifestyle on the red planet.
- Entries will be judged on the following criteria – scientific feasibility, creativity and printability of the design.
- Entries must be the original work of the contestant.
- Winners will be notified on Oct. 1.
- Winners will receive the following prizes:
- First place: 3D model of their design and complimentary admission to a future Space Center Houston 3D Printing Camp.
- Second place: 3D model of their design and a Space Center Houston T-shirt.
- Third place: 3D model of their design and Astronaut ice cream.
Deadline for entry: 11:59 p.m. CST Sept. 28
Judging: A panel of judges will determine the winner.
Times and locations of speakers, presentations, workshops, shows, activities and demonstrations subject to change without notice.